Making Your Experiences Count

The doctors and staff at The Hersham Surgery are committed to providing high quality health care and services to patients. The below information explains how you can comment, compliment or complain about the service you have received.

If you wish to comment on or compliment our services then please go our website and click on ‘Making your experiences count’ and fill in the form or write to the Practice Manager at the above address, add your comment at the foot of this document and hand to a receptionist.

If you have a complaint

It is best to tell a member of staff about any concerns or problems as soon as they arise and they will try to sort them out. If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way, and you wish to make a complaint, please let us have the details. The sooner we look into the matter the easier it will be to establish what happened. Complaints should be made in writing so if you make a complaint verbally, we may ask you to write to summarise your complaint to ensure we have understood it. There is a limit of a maximum of 12 months for making a complaint. In exceptional circumstances, it may be possible to investigate the issue outside this time if there are good reasons why the matter could not be raised earlier and if it is still possible to investigate it.

If your complaint cannot be resolved verbally you should write to Ben Taguba, the practice manager, who is responsible for handling complaints, or to Dr A Matoorian, the senior partner.

We will acknowledge your complaint within three working days of receipt and advise you of how we propose to deal with your concerns including timescales; we normally are able to respond fully within 40 working days. If for any reason you do not want to speak to a member of our staff, then you can request that NHS England investigates your complaint instead and they will contact us on your behalf.

NHS England
PO BOX 16738
B97 9PT

Telephone: 03003 112233

Most cases can be settled to everyone’s satisfaction, but if you need to take matters further you should contact:

Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO)
Milbank Tower

Telephone: 0345 015 4033

We will look into your complaint to:

  • Find out what happened and whether something went wrong
  • Apologise where this is appropriate
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem does not happen again

Where you can get assistance

If you would like independent advice or support about your complaint, the following organisations may be able to help:

  • Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) – Telephone: 01256 463758
  • Walton, Weybridge & Hersham Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) – The Old School House 72 High St. Walton on Thames, Surrey KT12 1BU, Telephone: 01932 248660 (fax: 01932 221680) or visit
  • Action against Medical Accidents (AVMA) – Telephone: 0845 1232352 or visit
  • Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS) – Telephone: 01932 722405
  • Surrey County Council for social care enquiries – Telephone: 0345 009009

Who can complain?

Anyone who is receiving a service, or has received a service, can complain. You can complain for yourself or for someone else. We may need to disclose information from the patient’s medical records. If you complain for a friend or relative you must have their written consent to represent them unless they are incapable of providing this (forms are available at reception). If the patient has died or lacks capacity we will need proof that you are an appropriate person as determined by law.

What to do next if you are still unhappy:

If you are not satisfied with the way we have dealt with your complaint, you can make a request for an independent review by contacting the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP.

Telephone enquiries: 0345 015 4033

Please remember

  • We want you to let us know if you are unhappy or have a suggestion about how we can do things better.
  • All complaints are treated in the strictest confidence.
  • Making a complaint will not affect your treatment or care.

If you would like to leave any feedback, comments or suggestions, please use our online <<please insert link to new FFT>>